All purchases are pre-paid and non-refundable, non-cancellable, and non-transferrable. Service begins as soon as your initial payment is processed and lasts for twelve (12) months. Your contract will not renew automatically at the end of that 12-month period. Because there is no annual contract, your rate is subject to change.
If you reside outside the United States and register for a Paid Subscription online, you may change your mind for any or no reason and receive a full refund of all monies paid within fourteen (14) days (the “Cooling-off Period”). Refunds will not, however, be provided if you have accessed our Services at any time during the Cooling-off Period.
LAST UPDATED: July 15, 2016
Terms and Conditions
- Intellectual Property Rights. The Site and its entire contents, features and functionality (including but not limited to all information, software, text, displays, images, video and audio, and the design, selection and arrangement thereof), are owned by DSA, its licensors or other providers of such material and are protected by United States and international copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws.
All Materials contained on the Site, unless otherwise indicated, are protected by law including, but not limited to, United States and international copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws. The Site, its content, layout and design are the exclusive property of DSA or its licensors and, except as expressly provided herein, DSA does not grant any express or implied right in any such Materials to you. In particular and without limitation, DSA owns the copyright in all Materials contained on the Site, as well as the Site as a collective work and/or compilation, any and all databases accessible on the Site, and in the selection, coordination, arrangement, and enhancement of the content of the Site.
“Diane Swonk Economics™,” “DS Economics™, and all other names, logos, and icons identifying DSA and/or DSA products and services are proprietary marks of DSA or its licensors. Third-party trademarks displayed on the Site are the property of their respective owners.
- Website Access, Passwords, and Account Security.
We reserve the right to withdraw or amend this Site, and any service or material we provide on the Site, in our sole discretion without notice. We will not be liable if for any reason all or any part of the Site is unavailable at any time or for any period. From time to time, we may restrict access to some parts of the Site, or the entire Site, to users, including registered users.
You are responsible for:
- Making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to the Site.
You also acknowledge that your account is personal to you, or that you will purchase an appropriate multi-user account, and agree not to provide any other person with access to this Site or portions of it using your user name, password or other security information. You agree to notify us immediately of any unauthorized access to or use of your user name or password or any other breach of security. You also agree to ensure that you exit from your account at the end of each session. You should use particular caution when accessing your account from a public or shared computer so that others are not able to view or record your password or other personal information.
- Assumption of Risk. You use the Internet solely at your own risk and subject to all applicable local, state, national, and international laws and regulations. While DSA has endeavored to create a secure and reliable website, please be advised that the confidentiality of any communication or material transmitted to/from this Site over the Internet cannot be guaranteed. Accordingly, DSA and DSA licensors and suppliers are not responsible for the security of any information transmitted via the Internet, the accuracy of the information contained on the Site, or for the consequences of any reliance on such information. DSA and DSA licensors and suppliers shall have no liability for interruptions or omissions in Internet, network or hosting services. You assume the sole and complete risk of using the Site.
- Enforcing Security. Actual or attempted unauthorized use of any of the Site may result in criminal and/or civil prosecution. For your protection, DSA reserves the right to view, monitor, and record activity on the Site without notice or further permission from you, to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law. Any information obtained by monitoring, reviewing, or recording is subject to review by law enforcement organizations in connection with the investigation or prosecution of possible criminal activity on any of the Site. DSA will also comply with all court orders involving requests for such information.
- Links to Other Websites. DSA may provide links, in its sole discretion, to other websites on the World Wide Web for your convenience in locating related information and services. These websites have not necessarily been reviewed by DSA and are maintained by third parties over which DSA exercises no control. Accordingly, DSA and its directors, officers, employees, agents, representatives, licensors and suppliers (together, the “DSA Parties”) expressly disclaim any responsibility for the content, the accuracy of the information, the quality of products or services provided by or advertised on and/or software downloaded from these third-party websites. Moreover, these links do not imply an endorsement of any third party or any website or the products or services provided by any third party.
- Events Beyond DSA Control. You expressly absolve and release DSA and DSA licensors and suppliers from any claim of harm resulting from a cause beyond their control, including, but not limited to, the failure of electronic or mechanical equipment or communication lines, telephone or other interconnect problems, computer viruses, unauthorized access, theft, operator errors, severe weather, earthquakes, or natural disasters, strikes or other labor problems, wars, terrorism or governmental restrictions.
- DSA obtains all Materials furnished on the Site from sources believed by it to be accurate and reliable. You expressly agree that:
(a) the opinions provided via the Site are, and will be construed solely as, statements of opinion and not statements of current or historical fact as to investment or financial advice, recommendations regarding credit decisions or decisions to purchase, hold or sell any securities, endorsements of the accuracy of any of the data or conclusions, or attempts to independently assess or vouch for the financial condition of any company;
(b) the opinions provided via the Site do not address any other risk, including but not limited to liquidity risk, market value risk or price volatility;
(c) the opinions provided via the Site do not take into account your personal objectives, financial situations or needs;
(d) each opinion will be weighed, if at all, solely as one factor in any investment or credit decision made by or on behalf of you; and
(e) you will accordingly, with due care, make your own study and evaluation of each investment decision or security, and of each issuer and guarantor of, and each provider of credit support for, each security or credit that you may consider purchasing, holding, selling, or providing.
For the avoidance of doubt, DSA Materials and opinions may also include quantitative model-based estimates of risk and related opinions or commentary. Further, you expressly agree that any tools or information made available on the Site are not a substitute for the exercise of independent judgment and expertise. You should always seek the assistance of a professional for advice on investments, tax, the law, or other professional matters.
DSA MATERIALS AND PUBLICATIONS ARE NOT INTENDED FOR USE BY RETAIL INVESTORS AND IT WOULD BE RECKLESS FOR RETAIL INVESTORS TO CONSIDER DSA MATERIALS OR PUBLICATIONS IN MAKING ANY INVESTMENT DECISION. IF IN DOUBT YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR FINANCIAL OR OTHER PROFESSIONAL ADVISER.
You understand that we cannot and do not guarantee or warrant that files available for downloading from the internet or the Site, or sent by email, will be free of viruses or other destructive code. You are responsible for implementing sufficient procedures and checkpoints to satisfy your particular requirements for anti-virus protection and accuracy of data input and output, and for maintaining a means external to our site for any reconstruction of any lost data. WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY A DISTRIBUTED DENIAL-OF-SERVICE ATTACK, VIRUSES OR OTHER TECHNOLOGICALLY HARMFUL MATERIAL THAT MAY INFECT YOUR COMPUTER EQUIPMENT, COMPUTER PROGRAMS, DATA OR OTHER PROPRIETARY MATERIAL DUE TO YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE OR TO YOUR DOWNLOADING OF ANY MATERIAL POSTED ON IT, OR ON ANY WEBSITE LINKED TO IT.
TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DSA PARTIES DISCLAIM LIABILITY FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF THIS SITE AND ITS CONTENT, EVEN IF ANY OF THE DSA PARTIES HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
(i) COMPENSATION, REIMBURSEMENT OR DAMAGES ON ACCOUNT OF THE LOSS OF PRESENT OR PROSPECTIVE PROFITS;
(ii) EXPENDITURES, INVESTMENTS OR COMMITMENTS, WHETHER MADE IN THE ESTABLISHMENT, DEVELOPMENT OR MAINTENANCE OF BUSINESS REPUTATION OR GOODWILL;
(iii) ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE ARISING WHERE THE RELEVANT FINANCIAL INSTRUMENT IS NOT THE SUBJECT OF A PARTICULAR CREDIT RATING ASSIGNED BY DSA;
(iv) LOSS OF DATA;
(v) COST OF SUBSTITUTE MATERIALS;
(vi) COST OF CAPITAL;
(vii) THE CLAIMS OF ANY THIRD PARTY, OR
(viii) ANY SUCH DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH ANY OTHER REASON WHATSOEVER.
TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DSA PARTIES DISCLAIM LIABILITY FOR ANY DIRECT OR COMPENSATORY DAMAGES CAUSED TO ANY PERSON OR ENTITY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO BY ANY NEGLIGENCE (BUT EXCLUDING FRAUD, WILLFUL MISCONDUCT OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF LIABILITY THAT, FOR THE AVOIDANCE OF DOUBT, BY LAW CANNOT BE EXCLUDED) ON THE PART OF, OR ANY CONTINGENCY WITHIN OR BEYOND THE CONTROL OF, THE DSA PARTIES ARISING FROM OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF THIS SITE AND ITS CONTENTS.
- DSA welcomes your feedback and suggestions, including about how to improve this Site. We and/or our service providers may make available through the Site certain services to which you are able to post comments, information and/or feedback such as message boards, chat rooms, personal web pages, profiles, forums, bulletin boards, blogs, chat features, messaging and/or comment functionalities, and other interactive features (collectively, the “Interactive Services”). Any ideas, suggestions, information, feedback, know-how, material, and any other content (collectively, “Submissions”) posted and/or received through this Site, will be deemed to include a worldwide, royalty-free, fully paid-up, perpetual, irrevocable, nonexclusive, transferable and fully sublicensable (through multiple tiers) right and license for DSA to adopt, publish, reproduce, disseminate, transmit, distribute, copy, use, create derivative works, display, (in whole or part) worldwide, or act on such Submissions without additional approval or consideration, in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed for the full term of any rights that may exist in such Submissions. You hereby waive (a) any claim to the contrary and (b) any “moral rights” associated with your Submissions. You represent and warrant that you have all rights necessary for you to grant the foregoing license, and that each Submission you provide to the Site complies with all applicable laws, rules and regulations. You are and remain responsible and liable for the content of any Submission. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO GRANT THE RIGHTS GRANTED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT POST, TRANSMIT OR OTHERWISE MAKE ANY SUBMISSION OR OTHERWISE UTILIZE THE INTERACTIVE SERVICES. ANY SUBMISSIONS MADE OR OTHER USES OF THE INTERACTIVE SERVICES ARE DONE SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. Please note, DSA does not control any of the User-submitted Submissions, they do not reflect the opinion of DSA, and DSA does not guarantee their accuracy or endorse any of the opinions expressed. The DSA Parties are not responsible or liable for (i) any Submissions, including, without limitation, any errors or omissions in such Submissions, links or images embedded therein, or results obtained by using any of the same; or (ii) any loss or damage caused by the Submissions or resulting from the use (including without limitation republication) or misuse thereof by any third party, including your reliance thereon.
- Export Restrictions. No software or any other materials associated with this Site may be downloaded or otherwise exported or re-exported to countries or persons prohibited under relevant export control laws, including, without limitation, countries against which the United States has embargoed goods, or to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department list of Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons or the U.S. Commerce Department’s Table of Deny Orders. You are responsible for compliance with the laws of your local jurisdiction regarding the import, export, or re-export of any such materials. By using and/or downloading any such materials from this Site, you represent and warrant that you are not located in, under the control of, or a national or resident of any such country to which such import, export, or re-export is prohibited or are not a person or entity to which such export is prohibited.
- Sanctions Compliance. You warrant that neither you, nor any entity on whose behalf you are acting, is owned or controlled by, nor do you or such entity own or control, directly or indirectly, a person or entity that is (i) on the list of Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons maintained by the Office of Foreign Assets Control of the U.S. Department of the Treasury or the U.K. Consolidated Financial Sanctions List maintained by Her Majesty’s Treasury; or (ii) subject to country sanctions imposed by the U.S. Government for any reason, including but not limited to being organized or headquartered in or a governmental entity of a country or territory subject to such sanctions (currently Crimea, Cuba, Iran, Syria and Sudan); or (iii) organized or headquartered in any other country to which the export or re-export of U.S.-origin goods or technologies are generally embargoed (currently North Korea). Additionally, you, or the entity on whose behalf you are acting, warrant that you or such entity do not intend to and will not knowingly supply or use the Site to or for the benefit of any of the foregoing. You agree to notify DSA if these circumstances change. For purposes of this provision, “owned” and “own” mean an interest of 50 percent or more and “control” means the right or ability to dictate the decisions, actions, and/or policies of an entity or its management. If you breach this Section, in addition to any other rights or remedies DSA may have, DSA may immediately terminate your access to the Site and any affected subscriptions.
- Claims of Copyright Infringement. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (the “DMCA”) provides recourse for copyright owners who believe that material appearing on the Internet infringes their rights under U.S. copyright law. If you believe in good faith that materials available on the Site infringe your copyright, you (or your agent) may send DSA a notice requesting that DSA remove the material or block access to it. If you believe in good faith that someone has wrongly filed a notice of copyright infringement against you, the DMCA permits you to send DSA a counter-notice. Notices and counter-notices must meet the then-current statutory requirements imposed by the DMCA. See http://www.copyright.gov/ for details. Notices and counter-notices should be sent by mail to:
Diane Swonk Economics
181 W. Madison
Chicago, IL 60602;
by email to Info@DianeSwonk.com.
You may contact DSA’s DMCA Agent by phone at (312)572-6224. We suggest that you consult your legal advisor before filing a notice or counter-notice.
Diane Swonk Economics
181 W. Madison
Chicago, IL 60602
LAST UPDATED: July 15, 2016
You do not have to provide us with any Personal Data to visit the Site. However, if you choose to withhold requested information, you may not be able to visit all sections or use all features of the Site.
Types of Data Collected
We gather Personal Data and Other Data (as described below).
Collection of Personal Data
Personal data is information that identifies you or can be used to identify or contact you, e.g., your name, email address, address, or phone number (“Personal Data”).
- DSA requests Personal Data from you when you register on the Site. The registration process requests that you provide your name, email address, address, phone number, and company affiliation, and agree to the User Agreement presented at the time of registration.
- DSA may receive Personal Data from social media platforms. For example, if you elect to use your social media credentials to log-in to your Site account, certain Personal Data from your social media account will be shared with us, which may include Personal Data that is part of your profile.
- DSA may collect Personal Data voluntarily provided by you, including in emails to the Site, online forms, order and registration forms, surveys, promotion participation, phone calls with DSA customer service and through other means.
- To access some parts of the Site, you will be required to select a username and a password, and you may be able to select favorite portions or otherwise record your preferences. To be useful, this information must be stored on the Site, and is accessible to anyone with whom you share your username and password. For this reason, please safeguard your username and password carefully and do not disclose it to any other person.
- DSA collects information through various other means, including participation at conferences and events, individual introductions, from employers that enroll their employees in our services and from selected third party business partners. From time to time, we may also acquire from third parties certain lists containing the names and contact information of individuals who may be interested in our products and services.
Use of Personal Data Collected
We may use Personal Data for the following purposes:
- Fulfillment of Requests. DSA may use Personal Data about you to deliver products and services, and provide you with information about products and services you’ve ordered.
- Other Communications. From time to time, we may use Personal Data about you to inform you of products, programs, services and promotions that we believe may be of interest to you. If you would prefer that we not send electronic marketing messages to you, please see the “Your Choices” section below.
- Internal Business Purposes. We may also use Personal Data about you for our internal business purposes, such as data analysis, editorial and feedback purposes, providing customer support, customizing and improving the content and layout of the Site, completing business transactions, development of marketing and promotion plans and materials, statistical analysis of user behavior, product development, administering individual accounts, and meeting government regulatory requirements such as sales tax collection, audits, etc.
Collection and Use of Other Data
- Monitoring Data. DSA and its service providers may collect and/or track other information such as demographic information, domain names, computer type, browser types, screen resolution, and other statistical data involving the use of the Site (“Monitoring Data”). We use Monitoring Data to help us understand who uses the Site and to improve and market it, as well as our other web sites and services.
Unless combined with Personal Data, Monitoring Data does not personally identify you or any other user, and we may use it for any purpose.
- Aggregated Data. Additionally, we may aggregate Personal Data in a manner such that the end-product does not personally identify you or any other user of the Site, for example, by using information to calculate the percentage of our users who have a particular telephone area code. Such aggregate information may also be used for any purpose.
- IP Addresses. When you visit and interact with the Site, we and our third-party service providers may collect Internet Protocol (IP) addresses. Your IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). This number is identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever you visit the Site, along with the time(s) of your visit(s) and the page(s) that you visited. We use IP addresses to understand how the Site is used by our users and to improve the Site. Where required by applicable law, IP addresses will be treated as Personal Data.
Disclosure of Personal Data Collected
We may disclose Personal Data for the following purposes:
- Third-Party Service Providers. We may provide Personal Data to third-party service providers, who provide services to us, including but not limited to, data analysis, order fulfillment, payment processing, and other services.
- Strategic Partners and Co-Branded Sites. From time to time, we may enter into a special relationship with another company that is not owned by or affiliated with DSA to provide or promote joint products, services, applications, or features (together, “Jointly Offered Items”). These special relationships may include co-branded web sites (“co-branded pages”). Any information, including Personal Data, that you provide in connection with one of these Jointly Offered Items, and/or on one of these co-branded pages, will be shared with our third-party partners. By selecting an application or providing your information on these co-branded pages, or by signing up to receive information about or downloading a Jointly Offered Item, you also consent to our providing Personal Data about you to those third parties. You should check these third parties’ web sites for information regarding their privacy practices. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT DOES NOT ADDRESS THE PRIVACY OR INFORMATION PRACTICES OF ANY THIRD PARTIES. If you do not want Personal Data about you shared with such third parties, please do not provide Personal Data in connection with the Jointly Offered Items and/or co-branded pages.
- Conferences and Events. When you attend a conference or event organized by DSA, your name and contact information may be shared with other attendees.
- Assignment. We may transfer any and all Personal Data that we collect to an affiliated entity or a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including without limitation in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
We give you choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Data for marketing purposes.
- If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may stop receiving these marketing-related emails by clicking on the link at the bottom of an e-mail or by sending an e-mail to Info@DianeSwonk.com.
We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you exercise the second option as described above, we will not be able to remove your Personal Data from the databases of our affiliates or unaffiliated third parties with which we have already shared your Personal Data (i.e., to which we have already provided your Personal Data as of the date that we implement your request). Further, please note that requesting us not to share your Personal Data with affiliates or unaffiliated third parties may result in you no longer receiving any marketing emails from DSA. Please also note that if you choose not to receive marketing-related messages from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, and you cannot elect to stop receiving such administrative messages, unless you choose to stop receiving services from us.
You may also indicate your choices regarding marketing-related emails by changing your preferences on your Site profile/account at any time, or contacting us via postal mail or telephone using the “Contact Information for DSA” below.
How you can access, change or suppress your Personal Data
If you would like to review, correct, update, suppress, delete or otherwise limit our use of your Personal Data that has been previously provided to us, you may make a request by contacting us using the information provided in the “Contact Information for DSA” below. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the Personal Data associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable and consistent with applicable law. Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting the change or deletion.
DSA has established reasonable organizational and technical measures to protect Personal Data within our organization from loss, misuse, or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction. Please note that while DSA has endeavored to create a secure and reliable Site for users, no site is 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please notify us of the problem immediately by contacting us using the information provided below in “Contact Information for DSA” (note that if you choose to notify us via physical mail, this will delay the time it takes for us to respond to the problem).
Cross Border Transfer of Personal Data
Your Personal Data may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and by using this Site or sharing Personal Data with us, you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have different data protection rules than in your country.
Use of this Site by Minors
This Site is not directed to individuals under the age of eighteen (18), and we request that these individuals do not provide Personal Data through this Site.
Sensitive Personal Data
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Data (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through this Site or otherwise to us.
Contact Information for DSA
Questions or concerns regarding DSA data protection practices should be addressed to:
Diane Swonk Economics
181 W. Madison
Chicago, IL 60602